My current work in progress. I have been thinking about a new mitered blanket for some time. I was inspired by some vintage ones I had seen where each motif abutted the others without a border around. I liked the look of that. I tried making them in single or double crochet rows same as the ones I had seen, but didn’t hit on anything that really satisfied me. Every now and then I would see another on the web somewhere and I would want to make one again.
I ended up with a variation of my mitered granny square. I did some tweaking of the pattern so it worked more neatly, which is needed since I won’t have the border around each square to hide any untidiness. I like the results!
I changed the pattern for the squares a little bit from the original one.
I used a smaller starting square. Changed to ch2 for the corners, with a ch1 in between the 3dc clusters, which makes more sense when it is time to do the join-as-you-go. These squares are about 8 inches each.
Easy to be creative and change this by adding or subtracting half-rounds to change the size (easiest to do this by 2 half-rounds so it works out properly). You could also use squares that are all the same design as far as how you arrange the colors, or a few different ones instead of making them all different as I did. You could also add a border around each as I did in the original – lots of possibilities!
I have a ways to go on it still, and a border to decide on. I will post more photos on how to do the squares, join them and the border when it is closer to finished and I actually know how I will finish it!
I used a standing stitch to start each new color, instead of attaching the new color with a ch3. You can substitute a ch3 or your own favorite way to start a new color on granny squares.
Each new color is started with the wrong side facing. I judge the wrong and right sides by the first little square.
Updated post on 1/21/17 for clarity and to talk about and include a link for a standing stitch.